Page 1 of 2 12

Default Salmon fishing this Friday

Hello everyone,

I finally registered after reading your reports the past two years. First off, I want to thank all of you that take the time to post your reports (particularly during salmon season), it's nice to read and hear about how folks are doing out there.

Hopefully the activity on this board picks up with the start of salmon season, so I'll be sure to do my part whenever I get out or hear any news.

I follow all the salmon news closely (being a steelhead biologist will do that to ya), and have fished them the past two seasons unsuccessfully. I'm hoping to change that this year with the recent news that some have been caught since the opening. Last year was a complete bust, there was no bait to be found anywhere and the salmon just didn't want to make the turn south of Point Conception. We fished hard on 5 separate occassions and finally threw in the towel after a big fat ZERO. I have a few buddies who have fished the usual spots the past few weeks and they claim there's plenty of bait, so we're off to a good start.

I'm planning to fish them hard out of s.b. this Friday (4/12), I'll be in a 17' boston whaler and plan on heading to the lighthouse area first, then the gap between the rigs if that doesn't pan out.

I will post my report upon my return. In the meantime, we all would appreciate any info you guys might want to share.

Scott

Change of plans, Goleta buoy nearing 6 ft at 6 seconds this afternoon and it's going to blow hard all night. Instead of a hate mission in early morning slop we're going to head out on Saturday morning instead.

Several posts on another fishing website saying confirmed catches in the s.b. area, and one post has a real photo of a real salmon, about **** time.

Hope to join the fleet on Saturday.

Scott

Scott,
    Keep us posted on the action out of SB, as I may be heading that way in a week or two.
    Steve

I'll be out there east of the Carpinteria 3 Saturday hoping to feel the love. I got 3 last year between Carpinteria and Pitas point.

Hey C-Hawk,

Thanks for the heads up, we'll be launching out of s.b. around 7-ish and will probably put our lines in half-way to the 4-mile or so and then head east, depends how fishy things look on the way.

I saw a commercial yesterday during my morning commute in about 120' off of Summerland, which is a good a sign.

Tomorrow's weather should be a bit nicer than today, gotta love the coastal fog, reminds me of the good old salmon days in the 90's when there was enough fish around to mooch (by far my preferred method). If we find that the bait is thick tomorrow we plan on spending some time getting some fresh with a sabiki and giving it a shot with the lighter sticks. I'm not a big fan of trolling 2 lbs of lead on heavy sticks, particularly since the bulk of the fish up and down the coast appear to be smaller this year (10-12 lbs).

Scott

We put in a good effort today as well as all the others out there. My salmon skunk since the 90's continues, but not for long as we'll be back out there in a few weeks, here's the report;

Launched out of s.b. at 7am in fog and very mixed seas and headed for the gap. 60 pulls, 110 pulls, and a deep six with a lucky craft pointer most of the day. 5 other boats working the area which turned into about 12 boats as the day progressed. Metered some bait, mixed and widely scattered. We trolled and trolled and trolled, back side of the rigs, cut across to both hazard buoys, back to the outside and then back to the gap. **** we even pulled up and swang way up to the lighthouse to finish the day. Stuck it out there for an hour, no bait and no life up in that area.

Everyone was basically working the outside of the 3 rigs and a bit down towards the east. Radio chatter said there were a few landed, but I think most anglers didn't have any luck. I know there was one shaker and one 28" landed, not sure if there were more landed.

It's going to blow again so be careful if heading out there the next few days. Hopefully some more fish head south as water temps will likely stay reasonable for a few more months with all these spring blows.

Scott

Scott, I am not trying to tell you what to do, but I will let you know what i have learned over the years as an outdoorsman. If you want to hunt Moose go to Alaska or The Yukon, If you want to hunt Elk go to New Mexico or Colorado, If you want to catch a Marlin go to Cabo or Costa Rica, If you wanted to catch an Albacore lately go to Morro or Monterey Bay, and if you want to Catch a Salmon go to where there are actually high Salmon counts. You can waste alot of time and money trying to hunt and fish game species in areas where there are marginal populations of those species. I wasted alot of time in my younger years chasing various game species in locations, places, and states that were setting me up for failure. A little more effort gets you into the real zone you want to be in. You will get lucky every now and then getting Salmon in Newport or Ventura, and more often near Santa Barbara, but to really be successful and not waste your years (and Scott we only have so many years in each of us), just drive the 3 hours north and go fish where there are alot of Salmon. I think this is about the wisest information anyone could give you.
    ie..instead of spending all day fishing where you did, you could have driven 3 hours north to Monterey Bay and limited out by 8am.
    I learned this lesson and the light bulb went on in my head about 10 years ago. Its been the number one wisdom pearl i ever figured out.

PS.. I only wrote this b/c you stated earlier in the thread that you have a Salmon Skunk going since the 1990's. That just struck me as crazy! If you drove up to Santa Cruz tomorrow the skunk would be over by 9am! Good Luck!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3...D550/ry%3D400/
    Last edited by Reuben; 04-14-2013 at 01:12 AM.

sometimes the salmon bite goes off in SB. I've caught limits on fish in 15-20 lb. class in yrs. pass. Rueben's right, it's not as consistent.
    Thanks for the effort and letting everybody know the score.
    Hope it goes off again.

D.J.

DITO Steelheads report- trolled varius depths and spoons for no fish. I heard 3-4 radio fish, not much for the size of the fleet.
    We were fishing east of Carpinteria from 0730 to 1430.
    Reuben, I have caught several salmon in this area- 3 last year (two trips). Some years in this area are epic.
    I have also fished Monterey for salmon- both catching and fishing.

Please dont misinterpret what i was trying to say. I know you can catch salmon in ventura. No question. But the guy has a skunk going since the 1990's. That a long *** frickin time! Im just saying that if fishes 4 times in Monterey Bay his skunk will probably be over by the end of April. Thats all.

Page 1 of 2 12