Default Sheepshead Bay Fishing Report

Sheepshead Bay Fishing Report.

Monday April 15th 2013 I went to Sheepshead Bay to fish on an afternoon boat.
    A new boat, the "Donna G." had gone out for flounder in the morning and said they had some. The "Sea Queen" also caught a couple in the morning.
    But nobody was sailing at 1:00 pm.
    I went to Stella Maris and got some mussels and sandworms then went to Floyd Bennett Field to fish in Jamaica Bay.
    It was 60 degrees, partly cloudy with 10 to 15 mph breeze this afternoon.
    There was a falling tide (and it was warm a few days this week) some flounders have been caught recently, according to the bait shop.
    I thought I could catch a fish.

Floyd Bennett Field

This is one amazing place.
    At the end of Flatbush Avenue is a bridge to the Rockaways.
    Just before the bridge is Floyd Bennett Field
    During the day no parking pass is needed.
    Go to the visitor center. They will give you a map.
    Fishing is ok by Dead Horse Bay or at the East end at Raptor Point.
    This park is amazing. You drive on the abandoned runways to get to un spoiled Jamaica bay access. I didn't get any flounders at Raptor Point.
    The other guy fishing near me pulled up a big skate. He had bunker tied on looking for strippers. I fished for an hour and didn't have any bites.
    I will have to try this island again.

Default Sheepshead Bay Fishing report. back to Floyd Bennett Field

I went back to Floyd Bennett Field to look for flounders.

Stick to the roads here, you can wind up in the wrong place.

Friday May 3rd I tried the dead horse bay side of the park.
    It was 60-70 and sunny with a 10 to 15 mph breeze by the shore.
    Park by the ranger station and cross Flatbush Avenue to get to the southern beaches.
    There is a point that is the obvious fishing spot. A man was fishing for stripers there.
    I started at the beach facing Coney Island, then I fished the point for over an hour
    and I also tried a second point close to the bridge.
    Under the bridge and further north is closed at this time.
    The tide was low when I started at 11:30 am and as the tide started coming in
    private fishing boats showed up fishing 50 yards off shore.
    I used mussel and sand worm on a 3 hook rig.
    I fished until 2:30
    Caught nothing.
    Last edited by coopie; 05-29-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Thursday May 24th I went to Sella Maris Fishing Tackle for some squid and spearing.
    It had been raining at 7:00 am and was going to rain later in the day but for now it was 75 and partly cloudy at the jetty.
    the tide was low but had turned and started rising as I fished.
    The rock jetty at 37th street and surf avenue in Coney Island is a good public access spot for all sorts of fish.
    I always use Yak Trax Traction Device on my feet to keep from slipping on the wet rocks. Cleats or something are good for safety.

There were 3 others at the end of the jetty. I started at 9 O-Clock with a high/low rig that had a gulp on the high hook and bait on the low.
    Well, I couldn't cast this messy rig so I switched to my regular "Propeller" rig. 3 0z sinker with an English bend hook.

Fishing was pretty good today I had 4 fluke from 15 to 17 inches caught from 9:30 to 11:00.

Everybody fishes the southern end of the jetty (towards Staten Island) the fish are 10 to 20 yards off the rocks.
    I had 2 with squid and spearing and 2 with Berkley "Gulp" (chartruse) and spearing.

I have to go here more often.
    Last edited by coopie; 05-29-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Tuesday May 27th I fished at the jetty at 37th Street in Coney Island.
    I got there at 10:00 am, It was chilly 60 and 10 to 15 mph breeze.
    At first it was partly sunny, I started fishing with the tide %80 full and still coming in.
    For fluke I tied on a 3 way swivel and an English bend fluke hook with a long leader.
    A "Spin-Glo" propeller in front of the hook and a 3 oz pyramid sinker.
    I fished for an hour and got one sea-robin.
    I threw squid, frozen spearing AND gulp in good spots but they weren't there.
    I did see 2 small fluke and a few sea-robins come up.
    But then it started to rain... I went to Nathans for clam chowder.

This Jetty is next to the Sea Gate Beach Club
    Last edited by coopie; 05-29-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Friday may 31st I went fishing in Coney Island. It was low tide and starting to come in as I got to the jetty at 37th street and surf. There was 5 to 10 mph breeze and it was sunny.
    I got a spot at the end and was fishing by 10:00. I fished with spearing and squid, sometimes a gulp for 2 hours. No luck.
    There were very few caught by anybody.
    So I went to Steeplechase Pier BUT thew pier is under construction and closed.
    I had lots of bait left so I went to Plum Beach. You can park at Emmons and Brigham and there is good access to the beach.

Again I got nothing, so for fun I tried to fish in Manhattan Beach.
    I went to the easternmost end of Manhattan Beach Park where it meets Kingsborough Community College. I think it was illegal but I fished for a while on the cement walk. I don't think the fish are onshore today.
    The exploration was good to try.