Thread: black cod

Default black cod

I was wondering if anybody has tried sport fishing for black cod? Thinking about giving it a try sense everything else is closed / out of season.

to deep better have a BIG reel better off doing something else. or get a commercial license for boat and you and coast-guard upgrades required and set lots of hooks.

Bakersfield, wasco, and the Ceantral Coast soon

Go South young man go South!!!!! Seems to me to be easier to go to Catalina and fish Calicos and Yellowtail than go to the depths of the ocean for Blacks. Look at the reports down South, they are getting some good scores on fishing down there on a given day, but with the weather setting up to be warm for the next 2 weeks before the next series of storms decide to come through California, I think you will see some spikes if the Sea surface temp and some of the fishing too. It's not too bad now, but a degree or two could really make the difference. They are finding a few squid around the Point Loma kelps and getting YTs and WSBs down there along with Calicos. The YTs are hitting real good on Yoyo iron. Seems like a dream, but last year this time we were just back from a trip to the Tanner and Cortez banks and a good day of BFT fishing. Kayak fishermen are really getting in on that action. Another possibility if you are too bored with not getting a fish on a line, is the Sacramento delta and mouth for a chance at a Sturgeon or Stripped Bass.

the truck and trailer don't like long hauls. Plus I wood rather put the gas in the boat than drive on the freeway. Thanks for the input. I got it 90% figured out. I'll pass on the com license, don't need to spend more money on dfg or cg. thanks, but no thanks.

Prozac: if you figure out a way to get it done and want a spare hand I'm down for the cause! I'm a seasoned skallywag so scrubbing boats top to bottom is second nature. Some buddies and I have been mulling over the same idea for a few years now; we just don't have a boat big enough to get out there and back safely.

I have a diawa sealing rock cod reel might hold enough line if you're interested maybe take the handle off and reel it up with a cordless drill ?

I don't think hook and line is going to be fesible. At least not legally. probably try a couple big fish traps and heavy duty puller.