Default Fishing report psl 5/2/17 and some ramblings

Took "Stella Maris" out with Jim, Tony & Wyatt & self , we had no wait in line , plenty of parking this time, about < 20 boats out maybe, most fished for salmon.
    Heard a few singles put on early, later not much, launch said 7 for 17boats.

We ran west in close surface chop, small close swell and winds 8-12k ran up near Diablo MPLA fished deep with terrible drift requiring 1# +weights
    poor pickings , a few chucklehead/whitebelly coppers and a sand dab.
    came in closer , 200+ feet still and got a few small lings released and a few smallish keeper vermilion and some large for type starries.
    still a tough bite , drift not so bad as wind was tapering down to single digits.
    try in 150-175 and got a few more lings kept a couple barely legals 23" and some smallish yellow rockfish.
    came ion even closer to sub 100 and all we could get were gophers.
    we started keeping a few gophers in desperation, mid day wind started coming back up and drift rate went back up.
    we pulled the plug just before noon and came in, stopped once at SR reef to donate some gear to the structure, no fish.
    tough day catch wise.
    we cleaned and split catch and saw others that had similar results .
    weather was supposed to be even better wed 5/3 but everyone had commitments so that was it.

Storm supposed to be possible sunday or monday, maybe we will get out again mid month.

Salmon are worth chasing if you are patient and are content with less than 1 fish per boat averages, but some of the boats a getting "hit" 3-5 times for that 1 or 2 fish.

Sounded like spoons and bait behind flashers but thats jsut radio chatter. Sharpen your hooks and you might do better.? head out past red and start trolling.
    Saw some of those large scrambled egg jellies in the water and had some on our line, those have annoyed us trolling in the past.

Saw a couple of larger salmon boats from Morro heading back up the line AT ABOUT 11 after fishing the local rumor, make ME think we have "some"? and they have few.

SO if you want to fish, try psl and you might get 1-3 , but if you reallyt need to catch , go long up to Monterrey bay/moss santa cruz and your odds might be better.
    I still prefer to fish local even if the odds are lower, as the day is a lot easier than the tow to Monterey and back from santa maria.

Have fun Be safe.

What bait did they like?

Quote Originally Posted by 15 ft Dragonfly View Post
    What bait did they like?
    The one that is in the water. I'm still waiting to hear of of someone I know traveling north for a limit. Right place right time. In my opinion, you have a better chance for one here if you put in a little time, than if you chase web reports up there. IT CAN HAPPEN ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, you just have to go fishing and quit chasing reports. Lots of fish around, but they don't eat every day. Good luck fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyrosco View Post
    The one that is in the water. I'm still waiting to hear of of someone I know traveling north for a limit. Right place right time. In my opinion, you have a better chance for one here if you put in a little time, than if you chase web reports up there. IT CAN HAPPEN ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, you just have to go fishing and quit chasing reports. Lots of fish around, but they don't eat every day. Good luck fellas.
    I like your advice Rosco!!

Default Not unheard of limits north

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyrosco View Post

Bait? plastic squid gangions, swim baits, metal jigs, plastic eels, kitchen sink , sometimes items topped with squid or frozen 'chovie or barfed up octopus, red crab, shrimp,sand dabs, etc etc
    nothing dominated.

We do get some "limits" north, although they tend to be "skinnier" than other locations, and we work harder for them, tend to get larger yellows north and more vermilion and canary, but often would have to keep the gopher and starries to fill 4-5 limits. this doesent include lings but sometimes we are releaing lings when others are lockjawed.
    often limit out front when bite is on and sometimes toward SBch.

I make some reports and seldom "chase" but will tune in for breaking news if i havent already obtained it first hand.

The line in the water is the one that gets the fish.

"

Sounds really fun. But I think their talking about salmon limits up north.

B.A. I was referring to salmon. Lots of folks going north for wide open reports. Wide open only lasts for one day, if you weren't there you missed it. You post detailed reports for only one area, nothing wrong with that.