Default Port San Luis Launch

Hello to all the Captains and Crew. I am new to boating. The Port San Luis Website says you can use a public sling for a small boat. Looks like its BYOS Bring your own sling. Can anyone share the launch routine and a link to the sling that would be appropriate for a small boston whaler. Thanks much.

The hoist is just beyond the fish cleaning station at the Harford pier. $2 in and $2 out, ATM cards accepted. 1000 pound limit I believe. Bring your own sling. Make sure it is sturdy enough and balanced so the boat is positioned correctly when hanging. Off hours when nobody is using the hoist is a good time to adjust your sling. Sign says it is a two person operation. The best way is to have everything ready. Back your trailer to the hoist, hook on, lift and push the boat out then lower it to the water as your partner parks the truck. Climb down the ladder and start the boat then unhook from your sling. It is requested someone raises the hook back up and fastens it to the chain on the pier so it is secured. Pick up partner on public dock and have a nice day. When you come in drop your partner off at the public dock so they can get the trailer back and lower the hook down to you, lift boat and position it on the trailer. Move off to the parking lot and secure everything etc. There are a lot of variations and advice other people may have. Most importantly in a small boat that can be launched at the hoist is to know your weather and be careful. Any other questions send me a personal message.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Hello to all the Captains and Crew. I am new to boating. The Port San Luis Website says you can use a public sling for a small boat. Looks like its BYOS Bring your own sling. Can anyone share the launch routine and a link to the sling that would be appropriate for a small boston whaler. Thanks much.

the coin operated hoist is not something a "new to boating" guy wants to use. pay the extra 12 bucks at the sport launch and save yourself a big headache. i think you should watch someone with experience at the coin hoist (there are a lot) , and see if you think its for you. good luck

All good advice. Hard to do with weekend traffic, but weekdays no big problem.
    Swell direction can be an issue as it can make timing of leaving ladder and getting in boat critical.
    We're lucky to have that little hoist.

I have launched my little Gregor skiff at the hoist a few times and it has been a breeze - I should say that the LAUNCH part has been a breeze. However I will never go back there on a weekend. Trying to back down to the sling with your trailer with hundreds of tourists walking around staring into their phones like zombies, walking RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU as you try to maneuver is not my idea of a good time. Take Dragonfly's advice and just say no on weekends / holidays.

Thanks guys! I have to just get down there and check it out. The image of the tourist w face in cell phone is so great. I can't believe these people walking/driving around head down.

Morro Bay launch seems pretty simple. Any tips on that launch ramp and exiting its notoriusly dangerous harbor mouth would be valuable too.

I will be learning to check the weather/swell info. Please post if you see some fair weather days that I could fish the Pacific in my 13ft Boston Whaler. 40HP I have some salmon and rock cod stuff that has been waiting years in my tackle box. I also have never landed a Halibut.
    I caught one in my Kayak and lost it trying to land it. Losing that fish on Fathers day 5 five years ago has been on my mind ever since.

The nice aspect of a PSL launch is that you don't soak your trailer in the salt water