Page 12 of 12 ... 2101112

Thread: Tuna water

This report is a little late, but this will be a combination of2 reports. Last weekend, I launched out of Moro to head down to Gaviota to see if I could get into some halibut, seabass or yellowtail. I took the long way down there and went offshore and went just east of the donut and came through Arguelo canyon before hitting point conception. The water was 63 dirty and lifeless. Squid was virtually nonexistant at Gaviota, Holister ranch, Jalama , purisma and the Coke plant. I only caught 3 pieces of squid the whole, trip. The Coke plant area was full of pinhead anchovies, whales and life. An absolute feeding frenzy. The most life of anywhere. Lots of bounceballing but no love. Finished the trip for epic reds and lings using live sand dabs in 2 drifts off Montana de Oro in 250 ft of water. I just bot back from Santa Cruz albacore fishing. We were on a 277 heading and found the break just east of the Pioneer, from there we went west and zig zagged the temp break between the guide and the pioneer until west of the guide. The temp break ranged between 62.5 and 63.6. Not much of a color difference and was a smokey blue. There was no life out there except for a very occasional albatross. On the way home we headed through the Monterey buoy before heading back to Cruz. There were a couple of boats out there and was quiet for them. I put 180 miles one the boat for no fish and not much life out there. I think that if I want to scratch my albacore itch, I'm going to have to haul up to Fort Brag.

Thanks Harley for the report. I'm thinking of joining a friend up at Fort brag as well sometime soon. The fish have been small 15-20 pounds but good numbers. We went for rockifish today and I don't remember a slower day. We tried all depths. Inside the water color was brown. I did catch a 3 inch squid on my rockfish gear in 120 feet of water and bait was everywhere; too much maybe.
    Bob

Fort Bragg is great! Very fisherman friendly. The hard part is obviously getting there and back. I am lucky to have a friend there who has my boat in his driveway.

Not all the albacore are small although they had moved out to 50 miles last trip on Labor Day week-end. Ended that day with 20 mostly on natural cedars and zucchini feathers.

21230855_10209562831773321_3263769759475691327_n.jpg
    Last edited by OffTheHook; 09-11-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Bakersfield, wasco, and the Ceantral Coast soon

That itch is getting to all of us, seems like. Painterman and I went out about 13 miles looking at that temp and color break that showed up on a 220 heading from Morro yesterday and it sure was there. The bad thing was that that was all that was there as life became he and I only for a lot of miles. On the way back in we stopped in deeper than I usually fish water off Hazzard on a spot that showed some specks on it. 2 hours later we had our limits of all but 2 reds that were way over 5 pounds each. Cleaning and freezing fish the rest of the afternoon.
    It sure was great to get back on that great body of water again. Thanks painterman!
    Anglers Anonymous of America is having a Vets trip out of Channel Islands on Friday and several of our members are going down to assist in that effort. WE are also getting this years event set up this Thursday for a November run this year and as soon as I get all the details available to me I'll pass them on so you all can get your Vet relatives and friends on the boat or boats this year.

Thanks for the report Harley. As always you go the extra mile and with no short cuts. Hopefully things come together in the coming month.
    Boat Legacy

It used to be the CPFV's would run exploratory trips. And would sell bait.

Page 12 of 12 ... 2101112