Page 1 of 4 123 ...

Thread: Anchovies

Bakersfield, wasco, and the Ceantral Coast soon

Default Anchovies

I was over this last weekend with my good fishing buddy on the Whatzit and Saturday evening we made about 25 or 30 real nice Chochos. ( Many a day on an Albacore boat out in the middle of the ocean I wish I had some like them). We were trying to figure out how to keep them alive for Sunday. We finally settled on turning the drain/pump valve off and just take our chances with the bait and hope we might still have half of them in the morning. there were also about 6 or 8 7" Smelt in the tank. Well, when we got up, to our surprise, all the Chos were going round and round and the Smelt were on the bottom. We fished all day with the Anchovie and even after bringing them up or down to the bottom a time or 2 they were still kickin'. Wow! If only there were some smaller tunies out there somewhere. I also thought "why not use a battery op Aerator as the C or D batteries will last 3 or 4 days, and use maybe even a couple of them to keep some air in the water when and if we ever have to keep our baits til the next day. My next experiment will have to be with Macks to see if they can survive also as that will surely change some of our early morning tactics and not have to keep the boat in the water all night and the pumps running too.

With anchovies its all about numbers and water temp, the less there are of them and the colder the water the better.

gdogs right keep the water cool ice in a plastic trash bag works

I'm surprised the smelt died... those *******s are hardy and usually last 24 in an un-aerated tank. I had 2 big green mackerel last over night in my bait tank in the driveway this year when I forgot about them after flatty fishing the harbor in the evening..... they were way too big for flat fish, I was hoping to keep them for the threshers that had made their way into the harbor, but like a dumb *** getting ready for work I forgot about them again.... it got stinky

Quote Originally Posted by KILLSFISH View Post
    I'm surprised the smelt died... those *******s are hardy and usually last 24 in an un-aerated tank. I had 2 big green mackerel last over night in my bait tank in the driveway this year when I forgot about them after flatty fishing the harbor in the evening..... they were way too big for flat fish, I was hoping to keep them for the threshers that had made their way into the harbor, but like a dumb *** getting ready for work I forgot about them again.... it got stinky

There are threshers in the bay? I've eaten them but never caught one.

i caught 3 threshers in about 20 minutes a few mornings ago in the bay using fresh sardines.

Bakersfield, wasco, and the Ceantral Coast soon

Killfish; I was very surprised about the Smelt too. I really thought the damage the hooks alone did to the Chos was enough to kill them all. Learned something!!!!!! I have since bought another aerator also, and will try it out soon I hope.
    Size on the Threshers please????

Those big Anchovies would be great for the Butts too. I couldn't believe how long we had the Chovies on the ball bouncing rigs and they came up and down several times while cleaning the trash off the lines. OOOOOOHHHH for some Longfins!!!!!!!

Are you guys drifting or slow trolling? I've never fished inside of the bay but would love to start.

Quote Originally Posted by liveforfishined View Post
    Size on the Threshers please????
    24" to 30" the bay is full of them from the launch ramp back to the museum

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor31 View Post
    Are you guys drifting or slow trolling? I've never fished inside of the bay but would love to start.
    drifting with the in coming tide

Page 1 of 4 123 ...