Thread: Record bluefin

I got this one about 12 years ago. It weighed 170.3 at the dock. Sure doesn't look half as big. lol

http://www.fishreports.net/forums/at...2&d=1338650293

butterball. Good fat in tha minas n majas.

A couple of my regular fishing buddies just got off a 2 day on the Apollo from SD..It actually turned out to be a 1.5 day because they limited on yellowfin and dorado within just a few hours, fishing 30 miles southwest of Point Loma..The yellowfin and dorado were all schoolie grade with my buddy Dana's 22lb yft taking jackpot...The bluefin action is now all north of the border between Oceanside and San Clemente ....so Dana Point is the private boater's closest launch opportunity to the BFT bite...Jeff

Yep we just got back from 2.5 on the Searcher. Day one was tough with lots of wind. I managed two YFT and a DoDo for the day. Day two was nuts - wide open YFT bite with two day limits for the boat before noon. We then moved in near the Coronados, thinking maybe a few Yellowtail but guess what? BLUEFIN! Seemed like we all got a couple of those in the 25# class before the fur bags moved in and made a mess of things so we moved off to the northwest side and BAM!, a wide open Yellowtail bite on the dropper loop! What a day! I probably got all but 2-3 of my YFT on artificial - popper, stickbait, swimbait, everything worked. Halco was the hot lure on the troll BTW - every time I set that thing out I got bit. First time for me on the Searcher but not the last. Great boat and crew.

Nice! Sounds like a great trip. Thank you for the report.

Which Halco were you using?

Also, what line classes did you use?

It was a Halco MAX, silver with purple back. As I said, day one was spotty, and I probably did better than most but I was using my little Avet SX with 15# and a #2 light wire ringed hook, even though the sardines were easily a 2/0 size. I started out day two with that same setup but by the time I landed my first fish it was obvious that this day was going to bust wide open. My next cast and fish was with an MX and 20# line with a 2/0 hook, and then I went to 30# with a 2/0 gorilla hook. By then it was a blood bath so I put the bait sticks away and went to the bow with poppers, stickbaits, colt snipers, swimbaitts... if I had a rooster tail with me I'd have thrown it and hooked a fish. Days like the first one make you wonder if you really know how to fish, and days like the second make you think you're Zane Grey.

I canned yellowfin ALL DAY yesterday. We put up ten cases and only stopped cuz we ran out of jars. I'm a happy man.

Nice! thanks

weather looks pretty good for the next few days, anyone headed out for a look?