Page 1 of 2 12

Thread: Happy New Year!

Bakersfield, wasco, and the Ceantral Coast soon

Default Happy New Year!

Here's hoping you all have a very happy new year.

We started the new year looking for bonito but didn't get anything after 2 hours fishing out of Morro Bay. I saw a fisherman with a 20 pound halibut. The water outside still looks great for tuna. Lots of bait, good color and 59 degrees. We set 5 crab pots in 250-280 feet of water which I will check on Wednesday. So far crabbing has been a bust for us. Commercials are still bringing in swordfish.
    Bob

happy new year!!!!
    just a little deeper but twice as far from port on those crabs.

We only caught 6 rock crabs. We used 3 floats and 400 feet of rope and the current still pulls the floats under.
    Bob

Anyone think about deep drop method for swords up there. I started trying in down here in so cal and have got two so far in five trips for them. One at 188# and one at 130#. If the commercials guys are getting them I sure you guys can also.

Frank

fish in 55 fathoms and use 80 fathoms of line. the top 20 use leadline

Quote Originally Posted by fishingfrank View Post
    Anyone think about deep drop method for swords up there. I started trying in down here in so cal and have got two so far in five trips for them. One at 188# and one at 130#. If the commercials guys are getting them I sure you guys can also.

Frank
    Hey frank. How deep are you fishing for them down there? What sized line? Mono or braid?

65 & 80 braid. 1,600 to 2,000' it's a long way down, even longer bringing it back up.

Frank

I'm considering fishing Sunday night. You can usually get large squid for bait out there but we would start with iron. This week bigeye and swords were brought in to market. We used iron in Mexico down about 400 feet on the drop in 3000 feet of water and caught 6 yellowfin one night and lost a bunch. Its getting late in the season but the weather is great.
    Bob

Bakersfield, wasco, and the Ceantral Coast soon

Go get something started Bob!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12