Thread: Bonita??

Default Bonita??

Anyone seeing any bonita around morro bay at all? Heading out in morning gonna run out fast as long as ocean stays flat about 30 or 40 miles northwest and look around again for any albacore life Hoping to at least find bonita on the way back..

I haven’t come across any yet. Haven’t heard of any either. Hope you find them!
    Steve
    BigSwell

Went out about 30 miles southwest of Morro about three weeks ago, water was green 63//64.5 in the warmer stuff. Saw a couple thresher sharks but no takedowns on the troll rods, thought for sure we'd find some bones, but nada. Went out 17 miles straight west of Morro a week and a half ago and found a little cleaner green water 64 was the warmest and there were a couple spots that looked fishy, but again no troll rods went off. Thought there were bonito on a few boils with birds, but they sunk out like ultra finicky BFT do and wouldn't bite
    anything. Typical of BFT, not skippies or Bonito, and the water was way too dirty for longfin, so pretty sure they were BFT. I bet they'd hit glow in the dark flatfalls at 4:00 am if you could find em, but good luck getting em to go on anything else. The majority of the bigger fish that were behind san clemente island have all pushed north and are holding behind Catalina island now, and the smaller finicky schools further north. I just fished 40 miles sought of San Diego for wide open YFT, which was supposed to be s BFT trip to san Clemente, but all the fish have mostly moved north out of range of the San Diego fleet, so that's why it's all YFT and Dorado now. Let us know what you found!

Fished on Katy B today up near point Estero.There was a ton of surface bait but we did not see any boils or jumping bonito (Windfall saw a few on Friday)...Our best bite today was in 104-112 feet southwest of the Cayucos pier where we loaded up on coppers, whitebellies,johnnies, reds and a 4lb tree fish...All we caught in the deeper water were blues.. It was about a 1-2ft swell and very little wind....Jeff

i picked 3 bones on friday afternoon between purisma and pt sal. around 8lbs each. i was just traveling and didn't make any turns . they bit on crome castmasters with white bucktail tied to a single hook.

Well sat. Was a great day on the water just no fish. Went out with high Hope's ran out about 27 miles west north west heading towards the donut where I saw a pocket of warmer water being pushed from the north so figured that be our best bet for anything. Water warmed up so dropped the lines in and trolled for hours. Radio wasnt picking anyone up so kinda had that nervous gut feeling incase something were to happen luckily nothing did. Trolled all day and all the way back in saw birds and marked bait balls about 20 miles out but couldn't get anything to come up and didn't have downriggers to get down to them... great day on the water but no fish for us.. I heard a few bonita were caught Sunday though ...