1. #1
    KJ6TQG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    I live in Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    290

    Default Do the bottomfish still bite in mid November?

    I hope so. Going to give it a shot this Saturday 11/10/2018. I was going to run to Piedras Blancas, any other suggestions?
    Proud to be a member of the true minority.......

  2. #2

    Default

    You should have no problem catching fish
    The big fat fish are full of eggs this time of year

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Ling cod typically move into shallow water the last few months of the season.

  4. #4
    KJ6TQG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    I live in Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J Peterson View Post
    Ling cod typically move into shallow water the last few months of the season.
    Good, I like fishing shallow so I have a better chance of returning an undersized or wrong fish alive, or at least a chance of living...I am thinking 125' or less..........
    Proud to be a member of the true minority.......

  5. #5
    KJ6TQG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    I live in Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 15 ft Dragonfly View Post
    You should have no problem catching fish
    The big fat fish are full of eggs this time of year
    That is bad.
    Proud to be a member of the true minority.......

  6. #6
    KJ6TQG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    I live in Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Any other suggestions for some quality other than the run to Piedras Blancas?
    Proud to be a member of the true minority.......

  7. #7

    Default

    Just make sure you have lines in the water between 9 and 11 AM
    Another good bite 2 to 4 PM

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Is this thread a joke? Kj6 has posted for years on here...

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atascadero, Ca
    Posts
    219

    Default

    My experience has been that you want some movement of the water and you need to locate the depth they want to bite at. Most spots are holding fish but they don't always bite. So don't limit yourself to just 125'. Try shallow and deep until you find biters. You do not need to go so far north. I rarely fish north of Cambria and catch lots of nice fish.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Three Rivers
    Posts
    60

    Default Local fare

    Quote Originally Posted by Bajabuzz View Post
    My experience has been that you want some movement of the water and you need to locate the depth they want to bite at. Most spots are holding fish but they don't always bite. So don't limit yourself to just 125'. Try shallow and deep until you find biters. You do not need to go so far north. I rarely fish north of Cambria and catch lots of nice fish.
    Nice to have a simple discussion regarding local areas to fish. My experience is similar to Baja B. I fished the Cambria area a week or so ago. 180-100’ drift directly off Hearst Castle. Wide area of structure, not much pressure from other boats. Picked away at bite which turned on and off throughout the morning, threw back quite a few smaller ones and kept a few nice reds and a ling. Wasn’t interested in filling my freezer, just enjoying time on the water and putting a newbie passenger on some fish.
    If you’re interested in a big fish experience, go up to CSM. Huge reds and lings, but a long haul. 50+ from MB. Fished that last year on December 30, flat calm, shirtsleeves and shorts, for a great all around day.
    Now, would anyone like to share some good areas for Dungeness?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in