Thread: Crabbing

Default Crabbing

We have been setting pots in 280-300 feet of water off Morro Bay and have not done well. Today I pulled four pots and caught only 5 rock crabs and one dungeness for a two day soak. We have been setting on a sandy bottom. We have been using rockcod carcass for bait. Has anyone got a suggestion for doing better in our local area? Thanks
    Bob

Bob I haven't been out at all this year but last year we did OK using anything along the lines of tuna/bonita/mackerel. I had tuna scraps from trips down south, and I'd caught mackerel which worked well and I also caught a few bonies locally and froze them for bait. I've also had some luck brining bait using that pink milky-looking stuff - stinky as all get-out but seemed to do a good job. Lastly, I always include one of the small bait cans in the trap, with canned cat food in it. I got a new pot puller and am hoping to get out there soon. Good luck.

Hey Bob
    I asked around and the main problem is your bait.
    Try adding some slimy, stinky, soluble stuff
    A big can of mackerel with some holes punched

We did add some smelly jelly which I believe contains shrimp oil. I learned that commercial crabbers use east coast squid and not the west coast squid. I'll try sardines and squid next time. I'm also thinking about using more traps. Thanks for the replies.
    Bob

change your bait. mack in a chewy bag and squid in a couple of jars.

Bob, in Oregon we use turkey drumsticks in our traps for dungeness . It works great. All the markets carry them up there for crab bait. I wouldn't hesitate to use them here. Good Luck John

In Monterey Bay I always use chicken legs and parts. Crab love chicken, turkey, etc. Also, I include pieces of frozen macks and skipjack, if I have any on hand. Works great. Usually get limits in Monterey Bay. Last year dropped pots north of Morro Bay, for the first time, above San Simeon on our way to fish CSM. Did well on rockcrab and a few dungenous. Always looking for new areas off Morro for dungenous. Good luck!.

The poultry has worked well for me too. I learned about that crabbing in the bays up in Oregon. The main reason I was told to use it was for shallow water crabbing where the fur bags will dive down and mess up your stuff - fur bags don't like chicken! Haven't tried it fishing deep locally but I will do a chicken pot next time out.

I have noticed that crabs prefer to go deeper when it rains. My theory is that the salinity of the water is reduced near shore and especially near creeks when it rains.