Thread: Flatties

Default Flatties

In keeping with the current spirit of this site, I would like to confess that I am guilty of catching legal-size halibut. Out of MB and hang a right. Drive for a while and fish where they are, in about 60 ft of water. I didn't even use bait I got 'em on colt snipers. Let it sink, crank about 5 turns at medium speed and let it settle, repeat. I better stop talking before they fire bomb my house.

They are out there, go get 'em.

halibut tourney at psl this weekend get some of that

Timman nice report bud.

Heck yea it is cause Im going out next week if seas are good

UPDATE got out there again on Sunday. Took the fishwife this time and it was a beautiful day which I was a bit worried about 'cuz Baja Buzz went out the day before and called to say it was bumpy on Saturday. We got a real late start and by the time we were moving it was glass and sunshine. We decided to bait fish for them this time, and made GREAT bait - sardines, spanish macs and sand dabs. You know how sometimes, things just go too good and you get the feeling it can't last? Well it didn't. Had the best bait I've ever had and could not find a halibut anywhere - thought for SURE we would get some. I do know that a few boats in the area got 'em bounce balling. We did move off into the rocks and used those dabs to put a couple nice lings in the box, and the spanish macs produced a couple of the biggest reds I've ever seen. The wife caught the jackpot as usual and it was a GRANDE red. We were only in 50 ft of water so it was easy to release those big red dinosaurs. I don't keep reds over about 5lbs - we put the good breeders back if we can. Keep Fishin'....

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the fishing and conditions info. It is helpful. I was out a week ago on Saturday out of PSL. We ran into some ugly water in the 50' depth range. It looked like a bloom of some kind and had a reddish/rust color. Didn't seem to catch anything in it, but we did see bait in it. Any idea what it is?

Also saw a school (about a dozen) fish that were following small anchovies - the fish were about 20' to 2' long with a yellow dorsal fin and yellow forked tail which both stuck out of the water when they were cruising. Any idea what that was? Looked kind of like small yellowtail, but couldn't tell what they were. Spent the day ball bouncing for 1 short halibut and 1 - 28" halibut.
    Last edited by BZ (No-Excuse); 07-29-2019 at 09:25 PM.

sounds like barracuda

...There is some red tide around. I work up at hearst castle often, and I've spotted pockets of it up near san simeon cove. We saw barracuda breezing in the bait we were fishing for as well. Didn't bother trying for any.