Default Fishing info for 5/1 salmon opener

I was fortunate enough to find a slip in MB right before the ramp closure and have been fishing regularly since the RF opener...On my last few trips I have started to see large areas of bait in the usual spots north of the Rock where we historically prospect for salmon ..In some of these areas (120-180ft) the bait is solid top to bottom for 100-200yds or more, with other areas of well defined mid column bait balls. I jigged some on Saturday and it was a mix of sardines,'chovies,and mini-macks...If we do not get stranded in port because of the wind, Friday's opener could be OK...Since this is ostensibly a message board forum about local fishing, I propose that this season's posts be focused on current FISHING info which would be of benefit to all users and avoid the political discourse which has run folks off this site in the past.... I am not suggesting that info on easily pressured fish such as WSB be broadly shared for obvious reasons..New season,new etiquette?...Tight Lines....Jeff... PS my radio handle is Katy B (current boat)

Well said Jeff
    There seems to be a number of newer forum users who are expecting that's what they will see here.
    When we get back to fishing I hope we can contribute to this informative site with good fish tales.

Soon as they let us lompocians use those ramps I will be giving it a go. It will be my first time trolling for salmon so in reality I dont have a clue yet but we will be out their

We got out of MB harbor at 6:30 this morning on Katy B and had the first salmon of the 2020 season in the box (#12lb) at 6:50am....I kept trolling around a smallish area of bait right out front of the Rock in 175 ft and caught 2 more nicer fish (#15lb & #17lb) in the next hour.... 2 fish came on a Hotspot/hoochie fished 130ft otw and the 3rd fish on a green Apex behind a Dodger @110 otw...Weather permitting we will be back out tomorrow...Jeff

Very nice. Awesome, Thanks for the report.
    Last edited by clark; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:49 PM.

Default Salmon fishing no Bueno

Fish for salmon today out of Morro Bay for Nada. Only saw one fish go on a commercial boat all day. Fished from 6 AM till 2 in the afternoon. Only saw two small bait balls all day. Hopefully things turn around soon. Anyone heard what’s going on in Monterey or Moss Landing?
    Joe

I'm gonna give it a go on Sunday. Hopefully this low pressure system switches things up.