Default What am i doing wrong?

This might sound dumb to most of you and thatís ok i have no problem admitting when i donít know something.... i canít catch a halibut to save my **** life Iíve tried ball bouncing, drifting, power drifting (kicking the boat in and out of gear every minute or 2) Iíve tried live bait dead bait plastic iron and rubber i typically fish between 50-100 ft is that too deep? Is there some chant or ritual Iím not partaking in? Iím planning on going this Saturday and Iím tired of just going out and burning fuel lol... so if i have to sacrifice a chicken under a new moon or something like that let me know lol

Hoping someone in the know will chime in. I’m ready myself to take on learning some serious bounce balling. Maybe try dipping your net before you start fishing. Good luck

I do not profess to be an expert but I have had good luck after about august 1 in shallower water - maybe 50'. Sandy stretches in between rocky parts with lots of kelp. I don't bounce ball much, I get in there and throw swimbaits and colt snipers. Cast out, let em sink to the bottom and then retrieve about 50' before stopping and letting 'em sink down again. Wouldn't say I've caught a ton of 'em but I usually get one when I want to. Oh, one other very important tip: put in about 25 years of trying. Seems like thats about how long it took me to get to where I could smell one. You can usually count on a few nice lings mixed in as by-catch.
    Last edited by timman; 07-14-2020 at 03:12 PM.

I appreciate it brother, I’ll most definitely adjust my game plan accordingly. Clark i heard tossing someone overboard and pulling them back in in the morning was good luck too might have to look into that lol

You need to recognize that halibut attacks live bait first to disable it and then eats it and their mouth is horizontal so it doesn't always suck it in as well as a vertical mouth does.
    Look for the second bite to catch it.
    And stay shallow as you can.

This is a great thread, some good tips, this is what this forum is supposed to be about!
    Bounce balling isn't very hard, watch a few youtube videos and try it a few times.

Salty i agree and not just because I’m the one asking for advice this time I’ve been following this forum for about the last 6 years or so and it’s been one extreme roller coaster the last few years but back to the point at hand i do appreciate everyone that’s chimed in i think my biggest problems are i fish too deep i have a tendency to be impatient fishing for the butts and i think i might be bouncing too fast i typically idle around 2.5-3mph I’ll try throwing out my 2 drift socks to slow me down as much as i can and stay below 50 ft

Now one last question again might be dumb but does it make a difference as to what part of the day you’d drift vs bounce? Or is it just preference?

I do what the wind lets me do. No wind, or a lot of wind, I bounce. Light breeze I drift.

Update: it’s gotta just be me lol worked everything from 25ft out to 70 drifted and bounced used iron rubber dead bait and live bait hooked up once but spit the hook after about 5 seconds so my quest continues thanks for the advice it’s just gotta be me

I think an octopus grabbed your bait
    Happens all the time to me
    I learned to recognize the way they hit and take the bait but don't get hooked
    When they get hooked and you keep pulling they bite the line
    Sometimes you can feel them stretch out as you pull up , like a big rubber band
    They of course hold the bottom and take you under and to a "snag " situation