Page 2 of 3 123

That SST pic sure looks good out there!
    See picture below:
    Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at Oct 14 6.07.53 PM.jpg

I'll hopefully be looking at that clean hot break towards the donut Friday as well, and I know some others will be going too... it's too good not to check. We've had some pretty ****ty offshore fishing for the last few years, its about time we get a shot at something good. Maybe next week we'll have some fish stories to tell at work ����

Left the dock around 6:30 and tried to make bait out in front of the harbor. Only pinner anchovies and some bigger smelt that were eating the chovies for us. Water temp 56.8 and dirty green. Headed south and out towards warm plume. Saw most of kelps and bait along a few different soft breaks along the way. Somewhere around 23 miles from MB hit the cleaner blue water and trolled towards the 34/54 121/10. I was expecting to some kelp and patties along the cleaner warmer water break, but never saw one. We turned northeast at about 32NM from the rock and headed back towards home since my 17' whaler only has so much range! We saw one breaking BFT in that 66.7 degree water we found, and a large bull dorado swam right by us and I flashed back to seeing marlin 1 mile off point estero 5 years ago, hard to believe, I know...Trolling home just north of the 35 04 and inside the 121 08 still in 66.0 degree water we got slammed on the cedar plug and line ripped off for maybe 20 seconds before it just popped loose. Brought it in and hook was fouled around the plug and plug was beat up. I changed the hooks out to 8/0 xx heavy to get the shank out of the plug to reduce leverage and chance of ripping the hook on strong fish, but the downside is the fish can hit it and push the hook forward and give missed hookups like we had yesterday. We trolled that area for a bit longer but never saw anything else. When we got about 14 miles from the harbor, we heard some guys on the radio say something about jumpers at 35/14 121/11 and sounded like they were gonna try trolling some macs..but never heard if they hooked up. We got back to the harbor around 4 pm and talked to a couple guys that went north and Saw some killer whales, but no tuna. Great weather and was nice to see everyone out looking. Radios on in my driveway this morning and I'm hoping to hear someone finds em and catches! Might have to head back out now!

Paddy dorado in 66 degree water in front of morro? Are you sure? Never seen them in less than 69 but I’m sure it’s possible..... how many miles off shore for that dodo 30+?
    Keeping the waters safe for baitfish one kill at a time...

We were 30+ NM from Morro bay, we saw absolutely no paddies anywhere in that cleaner blue 66.7 degree water. The dodo was a free swimmer and was A big bull. I've seen random free swimming fish like that 40 miles out of loreto in the sea of Cortez, in 78 degree water, but never here. I know a few were caught offshore as far as Washington state this year by the albacore fleet. And all in 66 degrees or less.

Alrighty then, definitely some confused water out front. Good luck to those looking.
    Keeping the waters safe for baitfish one kill at a time...

what a great report , Justin
    Thanks for all the details

We got out there on Friday. Plan was to run toward the donut from MB and put the jigs in at 62 degree water. At about 5 miles, in dirty green water we ran over a huge area of life. All kinds of birds, dolphin, fur bags, whales.... it was a zoo. I marked some fish deep and circled the area. I thought I spotted some jumpers but there was so much commotion on the water it was hard to say for sure. We went ahead and put em in and trolled / glassed the area for about 45 minutes but nothing. We continued out and at about 15 miles in 64.5 degree water we had positive ID on what I'd say were 50-75 lb jumpers. Met a guy on the radio named JR who was working up from port and we worked that area together for maybe 2 hours - he reported jumpers a couple more times but we couldn't get anything to go. I then worked my way north and out, trolling along that little ridge that is inside and parallel to the Santa Lucia bank. We ran up that ridge till we ran out of 62 degree water, turned around and ran back down for nada. Spent the night in a slip at MB, took my son and his buddy out for rockfish on Saturday, spun a hub 4 miles from the rock and came in on one engine. Unbelievably beautiful weather and conditions the whole time. Getting my wheels tuned up and back at it ASAP. I think some Macs in the tank for slow trolling deep would be a good idea for the next run.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith; 6 Days Ago at 05:21 PM.

REALLY good conditions. Too good maybe....IMG_9337.jpg

Pretty sure that was you Keith that gave me some numbers over the radio on Friday. I was heading on a 209 outta Morro towards the warmer plume and I think I passed you as you went out towards the northwest. There were fish all over out there today. I had a double hookup around 3 pm on the cedar plugs at 35/02 121/09 one fish took 3/4 spool off in about a minute as it swam up and out around the opposite side of the boat then went straight down and back to the surface and broke off around my lower unit. Had the other one go straight down and tight and stopped taking line with about 1/3 spool of line left, tried to pull line with left hand and reel with right but couldn't get anything. 80lb Line finally broke at my knot after a good couple minutes of stale mate. 😭 The fish counter guy said all kinds of BFT were seen today but nobody could get bit. I was trolling pretty fast at about 12 mph, so maybe that helped. Praying for another chance at em this year !

Page 2 of 3 123