Page 1 of 2 12

Thread: crab pots

Default crab pots

anybody know who sells good sturdy crab pots locally?

I know I’m not answering the question but i have one of my own along those lines is it worth buying a couple for someone that just goes out for the day? Is a 5-6 hour soak long enough to catch any out here? I’ve been thinking about it but just wasn’t sure if it would be worth it

Up till now I have just been day-crabbing. I usually get one or two keepers on an all day soak using two pots. During the off season I fish shallow for rock crab and the square Danielson pots are cheap and work fine for that. But the dungies are deeper and to make it worthwhile I think day and a half soaks at minimum are a better idea. I have used the round rebar pots and they work fine, but they are hard on your deck and I don't want to tear up my new (to me) boat. I have found a company in the northwest that makes a heavy, round pot but instead of rebar they use smooth round stock and then they dip it in plastic. They cost a little more than a rebar pot but I think its the right choice for someone who doesn't want to tear up the boat. They cost $165.00 ea. If anybody wants some let me know and I'll add to my order so we can save on shipping.

Thanks for the info i might start with the smaller cheaper ones just to see if it’s something I’m into i had a cousin ask about it and i completely forgot till i seen the post

local rock crabbing recreational is fun. local dungeness crabbing recreational is a losing proposition. too much line, too much weight , and too far from port. you are going to have several hundred dollars invested in gear and probably lose it . smarter to just buy local crab from local commercial fishermen.

taurus, I know this is good advice because you are not the only person that has told me this. I guess maybe I've just had beginners luck because I have caught dungies locally. Yes, I had to go a good bit deeper and yes, I did lose one pot unfortunately. Just like any kind of fishing, you will certainly be money ahead if you just buy it at the fish market! I'm going to give it a go this season with about 5 pots and we'll see how it goes.

Keith,
    What depths have you had success at? I’ve done well in Monterey Bay at 240-260’, but haven’t dropped then outside Morro yet and was planning to do so this week.
    Steve

In general, I try to fish on hard bottom, up current from rocky structure. I try to make sure the pots are in place thru slack tide, either high or low. I've never fished deeper than 200' although now, with a bigger boat and a stout pot puller, I'll try going a little deeper. I'm putting some down this week too. Lets compare notes after the weekend.

I dropped 10 pots, actually 4 pots and 6 lobster hoops (have done well in the past with hoops also) in 150 - 260’ this afternoon. It’ll be interesting to see what’s there tomorrow afternoon. Will post for better or worse.

Pulled pots in snotty conditions for about 10 nice crabs, a mix of large rock crab and smaller but legal Dungeness. Threw back at least 10 small Dungeness. Best pot was a lightweight Danielson in 150’, my lobster hoops didn’t do well, as expected in these conditions and were pulled several hundred feet from drop area, and the commercial pots dropped held crab in 250-260’ but most were the smaller version with several keepers. Looks promising out there with the numbers caught, they just need to grow. I’ll explore some other areas later this season.
    DFG was at the dock doing thorough inspections and searching all fish holds. Not the first time I was boarded, but first time they went on board and down below to look around. 72998237-96FE-4893-AAA0-5C86070D0281.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12