Page 3 of 4 1234

I heard a report that albies were caught off Morro Bay in big numbers 2 days ago. Don't know exactly where. Story was a Hubbs Seaworld research vessel coming down the coast got into them, per Lets Talk Hookup radio host. I know they are thick off north CA and Oregon coast so hope this guy wasn't just confused on which port was cited.

Looking at Terrafin there is no temp break anywhere to begin looking. The next time I explore I might look around the Donut. We made some bait last time. I sure hope your report is correct. Wind is up during the week and calm again Sunday.
    Bob

look at NOAA. The NOAA 'sea surface temperature contour charts' show the whole picture, as I stated in earlier post. terrafin, temp break, and all the other apps are great for localized picture, but the real big picture is what we need to get good intel on whats going on out there. go to the NOAA California coast shot. look at that. There is a very hard very defined break at the 35 even line, just outside the 121 line. not radiant heat water, but the real deal warm stuff that holds good fish. BFT central right now. you don't really need a chloro shot when the break is that hard and distance offshore. that warm outside stuff rarely mixes in with any dirty. too hard of break to allow inside high chloro levels in, and to not have fish stacked up along it. Anyone going this weekend should have a good shot at good fish if the wind does not push that good water off.

NOAA site does give a good birds-eye view but the gradient is kind of mushy. The area within reach of MB looks like it goes from 59 degrees to about 64 over the course of several miles. Not sure that would be enough of a 'break' to stack 'em up. I'm game to keep looking, but I'd like to see either a larger gradient or a harder break.

I confirmed the report of albacore caught off Morro Bay. I will be headed out tomorrow and plan to take a 265 heading for 25 mi to start. I'll post tomorrow night.
    Bob

Yesterday we ran from Morro Bay on a 265 heading and found lots of life and bait at a temp break 15 mi out. Put the lines in and trolled to Cape San Martin buoy for nothing. One engine failed at 48 mi returning home and had to return at 6 knots. I'm out of commission until I can replace an injector pump.
    Bob

Thanks for reporting what you saw out there and going for it! Sorry to hear about the engine, but most importantly very glad you made it back to the harbor safe!

Thanks Bob. I'll be back out Saturday weather permitting, and we be planning several more runs over the next few weeks. Let me know when you are back in action.

I'm heading out of PSL towards the Donut Sunday. I'll be on Ch. 68 if anyone else is out there.

Off The Hook

Good luck guys. Will be out Tuesday on the MacPak. Hopefully we can all get these ghosts going.

Page 3 of 4 1234