Page 1 of 4 123 ...

Default albacore water is close

I looked at the sea temps and chlorophyll today and it looks like the Santa Lucia Bank is 59 and a very blue .16 chlorophyll. I've made several runs for the past few years out of Morro for nothing but maybe this year they will show up.
    Bob

Maybe this is finally the year with much cooler water generally of our coast? Tembreak showed clean water as close as 20 miles due west as of 9 days ago but no decent images on that channel since then due to cloud cover. What SST, chloro service are you using? Cape San Martin buoy is at about 59 and there had been warmer water showing to the south of it so things are looking promising. Wonder if black cod or other commercial guys are fishing offshore and if so what they are seeing.

Hey Bob, I hope you are right. My boat is ready for offshore and I'd be happy to team up for a look offshore. This site has been effectively killed by the pouters, but you can message me....

Wild West I use Terrafin for water temp and color and Sailflow for weather. It looks like I might be out of commission for month but after that I plan to fish locally for bluefin and albacore. I purchased some glow in the dark paint for some jiggs to drop at nite like is done down south. Some live bait would sure be nice.
    Bob

Jigged up a nice mix of jacksmelt and sardines in San Luis bay
    Friday abundant bait
    The pond is flat
    I think this may be the year

Fishdope reported BFT caught off of the Channel Is in the last two days. There was also a report of a single Albacore caught off of SD last week. Sure would be great to have a shot at any tuna.

Rumors of good jig boat catches south of the San Juan seamount. Looks like local water off Morro greened up again recently.... Fished that area south of the northern Channel Islands Saturday looking for those bluefin but did not see any. At the dock at the end of the day heard that one of the party boats fishing the backside of Cruz saw them again Saturday.

The water temp and color look good today just outside the old PSL weather buoy. I'm still out of commission for another couple of weeks.
    Bob

I’ve been watching the offshore water move in since may when it was still way over 1000 miles from us. The real break of outside water hasn’t even come into view on apps like tempbreak, but will be the next real clear shot, the NOAA sst contour charts give a far better view of what’s really going on with any pelagic holding water. From the 21st of July until yesterday the real water has moved up and in 300 miles and is just outside the donut at the 1908 as of yesterday. The Santa Lucia buoy temps have been hovering around 59-60 for a few weeks now, that is the radiant heat off the real outside water. Saturday the Santa Lucia buoy will say at least 63-64 degrees. It’s our turn again! Saddle up men!

Thanks for the intel. Was out yesterday making bait (chum) for an upcoming trip down south and we FILLED the tank with quality sardines and Spanish Macs. The table is set!

Page 1 of 4 123 ...